As the excitement of Lady Porn Day dies down, I am left with feelings of enthrallment & pride. Enthrallment for this amazing & positive movement that was started by Rabbit White; pride in myself (& in you) for coming forward with such honest stories & provoking a stereotype-shattering conversation about women, porn, & masturbation.
I have a feeling that after this week ends, remnants of all the progress made & boundaries crossed with still be dominent in our minds, & that is a beautiful, beautiful thing.
I realize now that one of the biggest steps into talking candidly about pornography & masturbation is not only sharing your personal stories & opinions, but sharing your porn. The more we share, the more we validate that it’s okay for women to view porn (or other sex-based entertainment). Actions speak louder than words.
To keep the enthusiastic momentum of Lady Porn Day going, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite erotic films, porn sites, & sexy reads. I encourage you to experiment with this list — dive into watching the movies & reading the books — & then share the ones you loved with your girl friends. & if none of these tickle your fancy, have the courage to seek out others that make you hot.
(For the record, everything listed here is, in my opinion, women-friendly & not at all degrading. Of course, my idea of what is demeaning to women might be different than yours, but just know that I wouldn’t share anything with you here that wasn’t beautiful, tasteful, or extremely erotic.)
(Is it a coincidence that the most delicious of erotic films are foreign?)
- Emmanuelle – Set in the pastel 1970s, this French soft-core porn film follows an aspiring model named Emmanuelle who is on a mission to find her sensuality. See it to get a glimpse of the gorgeous Sylvia Kristel, who is graceful & seemingly angelic.
- Aimee & Jaguar – Based on a true story, this gritty drama chronicles the lives of Lilly Wust & Felice Schragenheim, whose friendship was founded on trust & unabashed love. After watching this film, I contracted a mean girl-crush on Maria Schrader, who plays “Jaguar.”
- Sex & Lucia – On the surface, this movie is entangled with plots & twists that make it impossible to look away. Looking deeper, we see that a beautiful kind of realness is portrayed in each relationship on the screen. This film made me greatly appreciate the novelty (in America, at least) & deliciousness that is an uncircumcised penis.
- Lie With Me – This is one of the first erotic-based movies I’d ever seen, & it made a huge impact on my sensuality as a woman. It features Lauren Lee Smith who plays a sexually aggressive femme who unexpectedly falls in love with one of her “conquests.” Watch it to witness the splendor of Eric Balfour, who is as underrated as he is gorgeous.
- Nathalie – In this film, “Nathalie” is hired by the wife of a client to privately investigate her husband, whom she feels is being unfaithful. In the process, Nathalie & Catherine (the wife) find themselves involved in a twisted friendship. What is it about Parisian prostitutes that makes you want be one?
- Lust, Caution – This espionage-style thriller is set in Shanghai during WWII, where a group of Chinese university students come up with a plot to assassinate a high-ranking special officer with the help of a sexy decoy named Wang Jiazhi. But the carnal feelings that arise from Wang could potentially tarnish the entire mission. Perfect to see with a special male friend.
- High Art – An intern at a small magazine company becomes entwined with the life of a drug-addicted lesbian photographer & her interesting friends, not at all expecting to fall in love with her. See it for the tender love scenes & fantastic cinematography. & then directly after, download the equally sensual soundtrack by Shudder to Think.
- Henry & June – This film left me wide-eyed & intrigued. It is closely based on Anais Nin’s personal diaries as she encountered Henry Miller & his wife June, a couple which broadened her sexual desires & pushed her literary work & personal life to the edge. Maria de Madeiros plays Anais Nin perfectly, & Uma Thurman’s performance as “June” will leave you breathless.
- The Dreamers – A wide-eyed American is studying in Paris, against the backdrop of the 1968 Paris student riots. He suddenly finds himself in a sexual friendship with a French brother & sister, & all three of them become quickly involved in erotic conflict. See it for the cinematography, the lush set design, & for Michael Pitt, of course.
[Note: These sites are not safe for work & are restricted to those under the age of 18.]
- VivThomas.com – Gorgeous guys, equally gorgeous girls, & cinematography that has the look & feel of a movie. It is very much worth having a monthly subscription.
- FuckMeLikeThat.tumblr.com – A Tumblr with graphic photographs that capture the lust & lushness of sex & sensuality.
- Ifeelmyself.com – One-on-one videos of women masturbating; it’s soft, sensual, & you just might find yourself identifying to the pretty girls getting off.
(For those who like intellectual mental stimulation.)
- Literotica.com – A place where amateur writers share their self-composed erotica. (I even submitted my own!)
- Men in Love, by Nancy Friday – Sexual fantasies from a male perspective.
- My Secret Garden, by Nancy Friday – Sexual fantasies from a female perspective.
- The Erotic Edge, by Lonnie Barbach – Short, arousing stories made specifically for couples without the cheesiness of most erotica.
- Delta of Venus, by Anais Nin – Beautifully written stories of sex, lust, & passion by my favorite writer. Also check out Little Birds.